December 23, 2014
Art, politics, angels, demons . . . and righteous dogs.

Pétanque in Bryant Park

As part of my New York Scenes series for The New Yorker I recently drew the Bocce (or Pétanque) players in Bryant Park.  These guys play at lunch time and have a ball (actually more than one). The first piece was deemed too observant: the main fellow might not like all this attention.  So a second was done. Now the main guy was smaller and much less himself.  Note the change of seasons.  It ran about a month later than planned.

Comments

1. Michael Freitas says:

I love the intensity and depth of field.

Mike

2. Steve says:

Thanks Mike.

3. Lorissa says:

Hey – just wanted you to know that all of the Bryant Park petanque players really enjoyed your illustration. Thanks so much!

~ Lorissa

4. Steve says:

Lorissa:
    My best regards to all and thanks. It was a lot of fun drawing them.
    Gratefully,
    Steve

5. Chadney Spencer says:

Wow! My petanque fellas at Bryant Park told me about this today. They said, “Dude! You need to see the picture of you by a cartoonist of the New Yorker.” I was awestruck, and now that I’ve seen it, I LOVE IT!! Thank you Steve Brodner. You drew me very well. You really captured my intensity for “perfection”. :))

6. Steve says:

Chadney:
    Glad you liked this. You are a real sport. Good luck with the game and everything else!
    SB

7. Andy says:

My wife and I love watching the petanque players at Bryant Park. In fact, it’s a shame that the park in general is so often overlooked by people visiting NYC. There’s nothing better on a sunny day than sitting on the little green chairs and people watching. We’ve also highlighted the park in our free guide to New York…

8. Megan says:

I completely agree with Andy. I used to love watching the petanque players at Bryant Park too. And yes, there’s nothing better or more relaxing than sitting on the little green chairs and people watching. I hope those days would come back… :-)